New Record Eastern

hermiehunter

Four Pointer
Just curious is anyone had heard any chatter about a new record eastern that was killed yesterday around Franklin, NC? A buddy sent it to me. He got it from a college friend, who said it was 10 minutes from his house. I'm not saying it's legit or not. Just wondering if he's pulling my friends leg a bit.

Here's what he sent me!

IMG_4296.jpg
IMG_4297.jpg

hermiehunter

Four Pointer
I've got the other pics, but they show the man holding it. I didn't want to post those. Just curious if anyone had heard anything. And it wasn't said to me what kind of record (spur length, overall, typical, etc.), just that it was a potential record.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I haven't heard about that one. But the state record typical archery record was shattered about a week ago. 1 3/4" and 1 11/16" hooks.

Last edited:

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had a friend at church tell me a new record was killed, he said Guilford Co. I would think if it is legit NC Sportsman would have a story on it soon.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Any other info on the bird? Weight, beard length?

I don't have any other info but I am getting the spurs are the only impressive thing about it. If you assume the score is correct, I did a little estimating and scoring. The spurs appear to be close to 3 inches just by measuring my hand vs the hand in the pic. I went with 2.75 for the spurs just to underestimate. If the bird only weighed 15 lbs and had a 9 inch beard you still get a score of 88. So either both spurs are not the same length or he was really light with a stubby beard (in the pic the beard looks at least 9 inches).

The most reasonable case i can make is that the bird had spurs 2.75 and 1.5 (this looks to be close given the pics), 9 inch beard and weighed 17lbs. That gives you a score of 77.5

Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
According to NWTF Records, the #1 Typical Eastern is from KY and scored 104.8125
The #1 Non Typical Eastern is from GA at 203.9375

The longest spurs for typ and non typ are 2.250

It is gonna take a whopper to top either record.

hermiehunter

Four Pointer
I agree, Oldest School, those spurs are just awesome! 2-1/2" will be the new record spur length from what I know. Regardless of overall score, or record status, I would be in shock if I grabbed a set of legs and found a spur like that!

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
I don't know anything about scoring them, but a youth hunter in PA killed one last Saturday in PA with 13 beards. Should be a new record, at least in terms of the number of beards.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
2 inchish spurs in NC are not biblical. Extremely rare no doubt. But there are more than just 1 or 2 in the states history.

The one I saw had very thin, LONG, SHARP, spurs!!

If this is a state record wild turkey taken while hunting conrats to the hunter!!!!

It's a Behemoth!

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
It would be cool to know that bird's history. I wonder how long it would take to grow a 2.5" spur....