Antique Gun Appraisal

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
I have a couple of old guns sitting in the safe, and have no idea if they're old junk, or have some real value. Both guns are in fair to good condition. Neither one has been fired in 50+ years.

The first is a muzzle loader. It has no markings as to who manufactured it, caliber, or date of manufacture. It's 50" long, with a heavy, 34" octagon barrel. Tape measure says the bore diameter is about .40". My dad acquired it around 1965 from a tenant who owed some back rent.

The second is a handgun. It's a revolver, with a 5 shot cylinder. It has no markings as to who manufactured it, caliber, or date of manufacture. It does have a serial number on the trigger guard, and markings on the base of the handle ("PAT Nov 17,03" and "PATS PENDING"). Barrel length is 3.25", cylinder length is 1.25", bore diameter is about .375". It was my grandfather's gun, probably acquired around 1920.

Are there any experts on the board who could help me out, or point me to somebody who might be able to give these an honest appraisal? I've done some internet searches, and the only antique gun appraiser that pops up locally is TAP3X GunWorks in Henderson (I'm in Raleigh). Has anybody dealt with them? Are they reputable?

I tried attaching a couple of photos, but can't get the "Upload" button to work (get a red exclamation point next to the file name, but no error message).

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
You might check with QBD before he gets on the road. He told me about an appraiser that he knows who does insurance appraisals and has done some work for him.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Man, you can't post this type of thing up without pictures!!!!

I think it's in the rules somewhere!!! ;)

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Granville Gun Works in Creedmoor is close to you and could help you out with them. FYI, most revolvers with no markings are not worth much, if anything. Yours might be the exception.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
I emailed Cherry's Fine Guns in Greensboro a couple photos of the guns, and asked them about an appraisal. They identified the handgun as an Iver Johnson. Couldn't ID the muzzle loader without seeing the gun in person. They said they would give me an appraisal and take them on consignment if I wanted to sell them. Sent Granville Gun Works an email, too. No response from them yet.

Still can't post photos here, maybe because I'm a newbie here (just a "button buck").