Snake Shot..38 special

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
CCI makes snake shot for 38/357,Bass pro,Cabelas should have it.

Last edited:

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
CCI makes it, I used it once out of a .38....i was not impressed.

sent from...... Tapatalk

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Just bought more from midway. Goodwife slays copperheads each year with the CCI small shot loads using Rossi or LCR snub revolvers. Has also slain big spiders , birdies in the warehouse and a theeving rodent or two. Good stuff.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Used it to kill a black snake yesterday that had just crawled out from under my house. I am tolerant of non-venomous snakes, except when they are in or under my house (I also have to spend time under there). I have snake shot by CCI, Speer (my favorite), and some handloaded by my brother. Have used it effectively countless times, also on rats in the chicken house. This time of year I keep the cylinder loaded with 3 rounds of snake shot and 2 ball, and more snake shot in speed loader.

Edited to add: yesterday's head shot with CCI .38 Special from about 10 feet away, one shot and snake never moved from his place. Because of rifling, these rounds work much better from short barrels.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have it in 38/357 and also .22 mag. Kill plenty of them with both. If people are having trouble killing them with the .38 they aren't holding it even close to the target. I use the .22 mag the most, if you are within 10-15' feet it will roll them up if you do your part. It is much less potent (shot count wise) so I believe someone must be getting snake fever. LOL

witler

Eight Pointer
Until I get some to try I will stick with 'ol reliables, hard to beat a #2 shovel or a .410. Have one of the single shot .410, works great on No Shoulders. Always keep a couple of shovels outside and handy.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Snake-Shot War Story

We had a large warehouse down by the train depot used to store cotton. The building had an alarm with motion sensors and it was not uncommon for the alarm to activate when birds would get inside during the day and not be able to escape when they closed the doors at the end of the day.

One night in the wee hours of the morning, we responded to an activated alarm there several times but found nothing. I decided to hang around inside with the lights on and see if I could determine what might be setting off the alarm. About 5 minutes of waiting produced the culprit; a Little Brown Bat.

I have no qualms with bats (they're immensely useful in controlling insects) but I knew we weren't going to get any peace until that was remedied. I went to my patrol car and retrieved my .38 CCI shot shells. It took a bit of patience and several shots, but that little problem got solved in short order. They're effective against more than just snakes.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Just bought more from midway. Goodwife slays copperheads each year with the CCI small shot loads using Rossi or LCR snub revolvers. Has also slain big spiders , birdies in the warehouse and a theeving rodent or two. Good stuff.
Spiders? Lol. That's one of those "I've heard it all now" .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I like to practice on those wood boring bumblebees. If the snake is any faster than them I'm headed the other direction.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Spiders? Lol. That's one of those "I've heard it all now" .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

She says it was a big one. Musta been cause she gave it 2 shot and 3 HP. I came out for the commotion but couldn't find any spider parts in the grass.

Last edited:

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Taurus's "The Judge" revolver. I don't own one myself, but I'd think a wheelgun made to handle .410 shotshells would do the trick.

(My favorite Copperhead dispatcher is a sharp, long-handled hoe).

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I load them all the time, very useful in some situations. I also like to shoot skeet targets from the low house on station 8 with them, lots of fun.....

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
I have not loaded any but I have used the CCI #9 snake shot in .38 special. 2 years ago a cotton mouth was coiled up on my bridge over a logging ditch. It was my only way out and the moccasin stood his ground. 2 .38 snake shots pissed him off at 15 feet. I got him right under the head with .38 158 lead. I was not a fan of the snake shot that day but I still carry it.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I like to practice on those wood boring bumblebees. If the snake is any faster than them I'm headed the other direction.

Funny you would mention that.. y'all gonna laugh at this.

So I've always used 22 shotshells around the house. Rats, balloons & bees. There's no underpinning around the back of this trailer, so the carpenter bees have a field day this time of year.

So Thursday I'm outside, 4-5 bees buzzing around the back door. I'm out of 22 shot shells, but recently got some 40 s&w shotshells @ cabelas.

Haven't used them at all yet. So I grabbed my M&P full size, loaded a few rounds in the mag & went bee hunting. Popped a couple fliers & then it happened.

One popped out from underneath, looked & sounded alittle pissed off. I threw up & shot, missed. Then I see alil steam or mist coming out from underneath.

From 6ft away the #9 shot went through the metal, another 3-4ft & blew holes all in my ice maker line.
IMG_0451.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cocked & Locked

Four Pointer
They work fine for me. I prefer to roll my own in .38 special and .44 special with Speer shot cups and 7 1/2 shot (just because I have some).

I carry them in a short barreled revolver...two up first. I've used them on rats, copperheads, and two .44 ones to dispatch a 42" timber rattler.

Chicken house rats. Wet one was last one out of the water hose flooded tunnel. Revolver is a S&W K-frame .38 model 12.

163948327.jpg

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
They work fine for me. I prefer to roll my own in .38 special and .44 special with Speer shot cups and 7 1/2 shot (just because I have some).

I carry them in a short barreled revolver...two up first. I've used them on rats, copperheads, and two .44 ones to dispatch a 42" timber rattler.

Chicken house rats. Wet one was last one out of the water hose flooded tunnel. Revolver is a S&W K-frame .38 model 12.

163948327.jpg

That'll work [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk