100 yard crossbows?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
People kill deer with compounds at 100 yds also, but the %s are extremely low. But you knew that, I am guessing you have looked for hours to find something like this since X bows were somewhat of a hot subject here lately.

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I can shoot a 5 inch group all day long @ 100 with my Xbow......doesn't mean I should shoot at a deer at 100. Xbows hitting a 100 yard bullseye is nothing new CRC, pick a new topic to scream "the sky is falling" about this ones abit weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Im with the others. 100 yards is feasible with compounds and crossbows. Its risky, but the weapon is capable.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I've never shot a cross bow. But I've shot a bunch of different weapons, and I was better with all of them when I could get a prop or even better in sandbags. I've seen some impressive groups at 100 yards from compound shooters, although they were very skilled archers. I never saw a single archer prop or get in sandbags.

IMO, the game changing part about the cross bow (when legal during archery season) is being able to pre-:donk:donk:donk:donk it, prop it and sight it in like a gun. A one size fits all weapon, that requires the exact same skillset as firing rifles and shot gun.

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
IMO, the game changing part about the cross bow (when legal during archery season) is being able to pre-:donk:donk:donk:donk it, prop it and sight it in like a gun. A one size fits all weapon, that requires the exact same skillset as firing rifles and shot gun.

Agreed, not having to draw and firing from a rest are really the only things that give any edge over a compound.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ive yet to see the crossbow that could consistantly beat a great shooter. i think it would take a very good bow ahooter with a crossbow to beat good compound shooters.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Agreed, not having to draw and firing from a rest are really the only things that give any edge over a compound.

You ever seen a cross bow hunter let down because he couldn't hold it back any longer? That is one huge advantage for a cross bow.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Ive yet to see the crossbow that could consistantly beat a great shooter. i think it would take a very good bow ahooter with a crossbow to beat good compound shooters.

I'm just the opposite. A scope, and sandbags with a beginner that doesn't flinch will outshoot compound guys all day long at 100 yards.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I shot a crossbow for a few years, killed several deer with it. I actually think it's easier with my bow. A lot lighter and I'm more confident shooting my bow. To each his own.
The OP has never even hunted, much less shot a crossbow or a deer.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
You ever seen a cross bow hunter let down because he couldn't hold it back any longer? That is one huge advantage for a cross bow.

I'd count that in the same category as not having to draw but that's just me

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I like my longbows and recurves (traditional in most minds),,,

I like my compounds (1960s+ technology),,,,

I like my crossbow,(5th century technology - minus the scope),,,,,

Shot deer with all of them,,,,,

All are a lesser weapon than a firearm,,,,,,,

So go hunt

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
Ive yet to see the crossbow that could consistently beat a great shooter. i think it would take a very good bow ahooter with a crossbow to beat good compound shooters.

Any of my crossbows... I shoot out to 150 yards consistently with them. I had to go out to 150 because I was shooting too many robinhoods at 100. This is nothing new, been doing it at least 5 years now.

26261407921_ae9113355e_o_zpswxwsqz4r.jpg

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Any of my crossbows... I shoot out to 150 yards consistently with them. I had to go out to 150 because I was shooting too many robinhoods at 100. This is nothing new, been doing it at least 5 years now.

That is pretty dang good to robin hood at 100yds free handed. That has to be equivalent to shooting moa groups off hand with a rifle. Good shooting.

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
How much does elevation of the arrow change at 150? That has to be close to 15' or more.

More than my scopes. Had to add some washers under the rear of the pic rail and use longer screws. I shoot off the ground or bench. Freehanding an xbow is not recommended for any long range shooting. Bag and bipod mostly. I don't shoot at deer past 50yrds, but I have busted a few coyotes well beyond 50.

12889445514_3992a00937_o_zps35ab3181.jpg

12956481093_e5ed82d030_h_zpsda05236b.jpg

Last edited:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
More than my scopes. Had to add some washers under the rear of the pic rail and use longer screws. I shoot off the ground or bench. Freehanding an xbow is not recommended for any long range shooting. Bag and bipod mostly. I don't shoot at deer past 50yrds, but I have busted a few coyotes well beyond 50.

They make tapered rails for long distance shooting on ar15s. I dont remember the size, but you might could find one of those if you wanted to get away from the washers. Just a thought.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns

Let me know if you come across one those faster scorypds for sale..... been nothing but headaches with my Pse Tac15

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
The fact you consider Wide Open Spaces a legitimate source for outdoor related news is something in itself. WOS is the CNN of outdoor news.

Eggman

Twelve Pointer

What brand and model are those crossbows? You have some sweet looking setups!

22LR

Twelve Pointer
Most rifle hunters shoot their deer less than 100 yards. 99.9% of the deer that I have shot with my crossbows were less than 30 yards. Just saying... Tunanut, those are some great looking crossbows. Keep up the good work & thanks for sharing! We all need to get along and support all avenues concerning hunting techniques.

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
Most rifle hunters shoot their deer less than 100 yards. 99.9% of the deer that I have shot with my crossbows were less than 30 yards. Just saying... Tunanut, those are some great looking crossbows. Keep up the good work & thanks for sharing! We all need to get along and support all avenues concerning hunting techniques.

Thanks, they are better than awesome looking, they're awesome shooting. I should add that I do NOT shoot at deer at these distances. It's just for fun and practice. I usually wait till they're within 30 yrds, most times under 20yrds. Shooting long range, you quickly learn that a puff of wind will move your point of impact a lot, you'll loose many arrows. Still a ton of fun busting eggs @ 100 yrds.