Gluing PVC length wise

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I am trying to make a rod carrier out of PVC and would like to know if it can be effectively glued length wise? I want to glue the tubes of PVC side by side. If so what's the best glue to use? Is there anything that will melt the PVC and create a permanent bond?

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Get clear primer and glue and clamp the pieces together. Keep in mind, it'll hold for a while but there's a reason collars are at least an inch.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Your best bet is to lay the pieces next to each other with a wood backer board. Drill a hole larger than a screw head then insert a screw so the screw head is inside the pipe through the bottom of the pipe into the backer.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Sand the contact areas and tape the 2 together with electric tape the put GG in the gaps on each side.
The glue will run down to fill the gap.

Clean up with a knife and sandpaper.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Tell us more about the use of the rod carrier. I want to give you a, you should do this instead, answer. There might be a reason or just preference that you want to glue over duct tape, paracord weave, or unistrut and some clamps.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Your best bet is to lay the pieces next to each other with a wood backer board. Drill a hole larger than a screw head then insert a screw so the screw head is inside the pipe through the bottom of the pipe into the backer.
This will work and be the most sturdy.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I was at the hardware store today and had $12 worth of glue in my hand before I wised up. I snagged ~$4.00 worth of hose clamps and made this with some PVC I had on hand. I fish a golf course and have to park at the maintenance shed and walk to a couple ponds. This should help with carrying rods.
2D537EE7-AB8B-45CC-84EE-721C5E8EE6A4.jpg28F9FD17-AF79-4F63-8ACF-1E58373EF900.jpg

If I ever get to Bass Pro and they have one of these I might have to consider it.
Express-Gray-10-1.jpg

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I like that.
Will need to check into that. Make it easy and safe to carry rods and it holds them up.

There is a little shop up the road, mojo's
he has been able to order most anything I wanted for fishing if he does not have it. Will see if he can get it.
Would be closer for you also I bet being in north raleigh.

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
A cardboard 6 pack with holes in the bottom and you got a free 6 rod holder. Or 5 rods and 1 beer and so on.

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Worked great today. No need to purchase a Rod Runner because this one is slim and doesn't hit my thigh as I walk. I rotated the handle a little so that any reel handle clears my thigh.

IMG_3846.jpg

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If that piece you bent flexes or gives you any trouble you could make it with two 45 degree fittings and glue it and solve that problem.