Nothing but tobacco in Western Harnett this year

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No acorns and no soybeans and nothing but tobacco being planted this year in my neck of the woods in Harnett county. What is going on? I have not seen this much tobacco being planted down here since I moved to Harnett county in 1993. The deer are going to eat a lot of corn this fall since the oaks will not be producing the acorns like they did this past year.
Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Last edited:

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There were major cuts in the tobacco markets this year, particularly at the organic level. My guess is, if you haven't seen tobacco in that region lately, it's on a 4 year rotation. So, they stacked the land this year to get away from soil-borne disease pressure like black shank and granville wilt. I assure you, that case is not that the overall tobacco acreage in Harnett County has increased.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There were major cuts in the tobacco markets this year, particularly at the organic level. My guess is, if you haven't seen tobacco in that region lately, it's on a 4 year rotation. So, they stacked the land this year to get away from soil-borne disease pressure like black shank and granville wilt. I assure you, that case is not that the overall tobacco acreage in Harnett County has increased.
Okay that makes sense.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree jug. Last year was the biggest yearni had seen around here for tobacco. I think this year is bigger.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
We have seen way less deer the last 2 years than ever before and I hunt in a area that historically holds a ton of deer.

sent from...... Tapatalk

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Lots of tobacco last year up hwy 58 in Jones and Lenoir counties, then up 70 thru Wayne and Johnston County..Waiting to see how much will be there this year..

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We have seen way less deer the last 2 years than ever before and I hunt in a area that historically holds a ton of deer.

sent from...... Tapatalk
That's what I hear . Northampton is starting to suffer from the lack of peanuts and pine plantations being planted. I hate that.

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
All tobacco over by me in Bunnlevel. I need to get my buddies over to start clearing food plots. Might just turn my shooting range into a food plot. My backyard looks like a doe highway.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Look at the bright side, winter wheat as a cover crop. Usually makes for a good late season food source.

Last edited:

DeerMechanic

All tobacco over by me in Bunnlevel. I need to get my buddies over to start clearing food plots. Might just turn my shooting range into a food plot. My backyard looks like a doe highway.

Thats funny, I hunt a 500 acre lease in Bunnlevel and theres a lot of cotton in there. We are going to have some serious food plots going on all year this year.