Page 2 of 73 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: SSS (Stop Shooting Scrubs)!!!

Old Mossy Horns Redneck Rocker Dude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
    Just what I figured I'd get...."we're not in Texas" and "how does what another man shoot affect you". I would like to think that in my life time NC will be considered by all of us and those from other states as a state that went from a "brown & down" state to one that consistently produces good bucks statewide. If you don't let 'em go and do what you can to convince others to do the same....you can keep on getting your rocks off shooting 100" 8 pointers and may never have a chance at a mature buck. What good is that? Big deal...you can kill a 2-1/2 y.o. 13" 8 pt. WHO CAN'T? Step it up and make it challenging....believe it or not, you might enjoy it. For those new to the sport and of course to the kids....have at it!!! Shoot 'em up!!! But eventually, it becomes old hat so why not bump your expectations up a notch or 2? Sort of like a PGA golfer or Major Leaguer....once they've accomplished their goals in the mini-tours or minor league they move up, and up. They don't keep playing the same amateurs and farm teams. Just my opinion. I know everyone won't share the same....but, I hope most will open their eyes to how it "could" be.
    I have nothing wrong with you managing what you want too. If you want to manage land for bucks that grow 130" and bigger, have at it.

I don't get to hunt every single day. A 100" 8 point will make me grin bigger than anything. I killed a 167lb 3 point Cowhorn when I was 11. So your going to try to tell me he was a "young deer"? And it was on scales too, not an est weight.

I realise that we "could" have bigger deer here in NC. But I'm not going to pass on a 120" deer because of "what he could be next year". A 120" deer would have his place on my wall. I couldn't care less what other states think about good ole' NC. I love hunting here, and won't change the way I hunt because someone else thinks I should, and other people shouldn't either IMO.
    "I can do all things through Christ which gives me strength" -Phillipians 4:13

Mean Green Kennels

"Never give up, no excuses."
    -RIP Coach Hynus

Vet Tech

Not going to happen here in N.C. as long as you have current regs and seasons. Only way to do it is like the trophy states, 1 buck and 1week gun huntihg.

SchaferShooter

of course, I understand that a person's experience level determines what to shoot.....so I should clarify that at some point in a person's hunting career they should be able to lay off the babies and give 'em a chance to be something to really be proud of.
    So you speak for all hunters, now?

You ready for MY challenge, above?

You think I'm not proud of EVERY deer I kill?

You know my "experience level"?

I've caught fish that weighed in excess of 100#'s. BUT....some of my fondest memories are fishing with a can pole and a bobber. If I go to the pond across the street with the cane pole, do you have an issue with that.

Extrapolate.
    Last edited by SchaferShooter; 12-23-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ARSP8 View Post
    he had never killed a deer and has 6 kids. I put him in a stand that I had been hunting and he killed a spike, I could not have been happier for him, I drug him out, cleaned and quartered the deer up for him. Sawed off the horns, he was going to put them on a plaque. He is 45 years old and retired from the Army. And he sure was proud of that deer, who am I to take that from him?
    by no means should he be shamed or shunned! good for him and it's a shame his 6 kids didn't all kill spikes!!! again, i should have clarified.....my opinion (probably considered not so humble by many) is really directed towards experienced hunters.....not rookies and kids.

trav

[bthis should be closed[/b]

Quote Originally Posted by Vet Tech View Post
    Not going to happen here in N.C. as long as you have current regs and seasons. Only way to do it is like the trophy states, 1 buck and 1week gun huntihg.
    Exactly. you cant kill four bucks a year and expect to have plenty of big bucks. If they change the regs then maybe we could be a trophy state.

Quote Originally Posted by perry07 View Post
    Exactly. you cant kill four bucks a year and expect to have plenty of big bucks. If they change the regs then maybe we could be a trophy state.
    it really should be one buck state wide but i would settle for 2 right now
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NChuntingvlog
    Kill Count
    Bucks- 10
    Does- 25
    Button Bucks- 5
    Coyotes- 16
    Turkeys- 8

TheTruth156

Quote Originally Posted by Vet Tech View Post
    That hit the nail on the head. With everyone being able to kill 4 bucks and most shooting whatever walks out with horns, they will never have a established population of big deer. I know lettin them go does not guarantee big bucks, but i do know if you kill all the little ones, you will not even have a chance at a big one. Texas, Ohio, Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, didnt get to where they are by letting everyone kill 4 bucks a season.

We need to go to a 1 buck 1 doe a season rule and keep the unlimited extra doe tags. Also shortening up the gun season to no longer than 2 weeks would probably help.

I wouldn't consider myself a rookie, I think?

If I were to shoot a 4 pt. next year I would feel just as thank full as if I were to have shot a book deer.... IMO if there is a beneficial reason to pass up a young buck it is to help with the overall health of the NC deer herd by somewhat controlling the sex ratio between buck and doe. In years to come an older age class of bucks could be the outcome of this practice. Good luck with them though. Just because they are their doesn't make them easier to hunt.... But its nice to see em'.

I don't know about anyone else but I like being able to harvest multiple bucks and having a lengthy deer season.