Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Prized Possessions

Sevierville TN. Randolph county Native!!!

My dad is on the left, my grandfather in middle and my uncle on the right. The double barrel my grandfather is holding is just an old lefever nitro special. But my grandma gave it to me when he passed away and the gun is absolutely priceless in my eyes!!!! My dad and grandfather are the two greatest men I have ever known!!
    http://
    I live in Tennessee, but my home is North By God Carolina!
    Just because you do not agree with my opinion, it does not make me wrong!

Sevierville TN. Randolph county Native!!!

And I also have the flashlight you see sticking out of his pants in this picture. It don't work....but who cares!!! I loved my grandfather dearly and miss him everyday.
    I live in Tennessee, but my home is North By God Carolina!
    Just because you do not agree with my opinion, it does not make me wrong!

I have all my grandpa's guns, which I consider prized possessions. But the one thing I have of his that means the most is his Farmall 130. Out of all the tractors on the farm, this was the only one he bought brand new. Used it to tend 65 acres for years until he bought a used John Deere 4020 which my dad has. I use that 130 every year to plant and tend my garden. Use it to bus hog with, and scrape the path a mom and dads. I spent many an hour on that thing with my grandpa as a kid. When we won't on the tractor, he was taking me in the woods. So many memories I have with that man. He was the greatest man I ever new!

Attachment 32869 Attachment 32870
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When were old rocking on the porch re-living all our glory, you may have a few less scars but I'll have better stories........

Quote Originally Posted by GTO ONE View Post
    Wildcat, yes it is a 65. It is my second most prized posession. I have had it since 1986, my first car. I saved up the $1500 to buy it working over that summer. I bought it from a family friend, Ms. Gainey. Before I was born she and my mother had worked together, and when I was small she would babysit me. I can remember riding with her to the grocery store, when we left she pulled out laughing and spinning the tires. I will never forget that; keep in mind, at that time she had to be in her 60's. Her husband had bought it for her new as an incentive for her to get her drivers license, but she never did untill he died. He had a Catalina he drove to work, so the GTO was driven sparingly till 1972. When I bought it in 86' it had 23,000 miles. I was dumped by my highschool sweetheart over "the goat"; she did not like my answer when she asked "what do you love more, me or that car". Luckily my wife has heard that story and never asked. It was originally a 4-bbl/ 2-speed on the column 3.23 Posi. It still has the original 389, but now has a tri-power and 350 turbo. My graduation tassel from 1988 is still hanging from the rear view mirror. Pontiac did an add campaign for the GTO, I think in 67', with a picture of a GTO and the caption "A machine for shrinking time and distance". My car truly is that machine. All I have to do is go crank it up and I feel 17 again...
    Awesome story....I love your car. the 65 Goat is my favorite all time car followed closely by the 69 Judge.
    "Nothing runs like a deer except a Walker"

Quote Originally Posted by darkthirty View Post
    And I also have the flashlight you see sticking out of his pants in this picture. It don't work....but who cares!!! I loved my grandfather dearly and miss him everyday.
    Very cool picture!
    "Nothing runs like a deer except a Walker"

I grew up bird hunting. In my early 20's my Dad's brother, who had lived in the Lowcountry of SC most of his life, took me on my first deer hunt. Never thought I'd like it but thought I ought to try it. Shot a doe my first time out with his Rem 788 .243. Hooked from that point on. Went deer hunting there with him several seasons and even took my little Brittany down and got him back into quail hunting.

He took to bird hunting again so much that he bought a Brittany from the man who had trained mine. Had a deal worked out on a good piece of land down there to repopulate some birds, and at the least, hunt some released quail. He was using a Franchi 12 gauge autoloader that had his initials engraved on it...."GMP".

Got to experience my first deer dog hunt on his hunt club that he had headed up for so many years too. Killed my first buck with his borrowed Rem 1100 12 gauge.

Anyhow, right before the first bird season came in that he was going to get to hunt behind his dog, my Uncle got sick and in very short order, less than a month, had terminal cancer. The last time I saw him was in the hospital......I think we both knew it was the last time I'd see him alive, and there was a lot I wanted to say to him, but no words were really needed. He never did get to hunt behind his new Brittany.

He died a few weeks later, at home. I actually saw a picture of him during his last days and didn't even recognize the man I had seen just a couple weeks before. It was really sudden, and really bad.

My dad took Buck, my Uncle's Brittany, back home with him and we now hunt Buck and Nugget together. We make at LEAST 3 trips back to the Lowcountry each year for deer and bird hunting, and although not on the same land as I did with my Uncle, we visit a lot of the same local places and it always feels like I'm hunting with him when I'm down there.....just something familiar about it. Still meet new people who knew or hunted with him.

I inherited 4 guns when he died......that .243 I killed my first with (and that my oldest nephew killed his first with last year too), that Franchi that I take bird hunting at least once a season, and that Remington 1100 that I killed my first buck with. The 4th was an old HS .22 revolver that is probably worth about $30, that my Uncle actually told me should probably be thrown away.......I wouldn't take a million dollars for any of them though.

Funny how objects like guns can hold so much history and memories.

These are some of the best stories that IMO have ever been shared on this forum I really love reading them..I forgot, I also got my Grandpa's pocket knife after he died, my Grandmother which was his wife gave it to me. I lost that knife one day maybe in the woods I don't really know but it haunts me to this day that the knife is gone and I will never get it back. I've seen Pa sit out in the yard many times whittling on a stick with that old knife. I hope someone found it and still has it today..
    Nothing seems to move faster on this planet than time ...
    NRA member..