Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Prized Possessions

One of my most prized possesions is a photo. My Grandfather was diagnosed with cancer early in 2000. He fought it throughout the year, and finally had it "manageable" around Thanksgiving. He never was much of a deer hunter, he was more into bird hunting and small game hunting. He took up deer hunting more seriously when he retired. That year much to my surprise, he decided he wanted to kill one last deer.

The last day of the Western Region deer season my Dad, Grandaddy and I were all in the woods. I drove Grandaddy as close to his spot as I could and helped him get set up and went to my stand. It was getting on up in the morning with no deer seen, and no shots heard. I was getting anxious that Grandaddy wouldn't get his "one last deer". I just closed my eyes and said Lord if there is anyway, send a deer to Grandaddy. As I opened my eyes I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. A big doe had eased out of the woods and was standing in my shooting lane. As I raised the gun and was squeezed the trigger, another shot went off, and another. It sounded like 3 shots together. BOOMBOOMBOOM. I looked at my watch it was 9:58. I climbed down, checked the doe, and drug her to the road. I got the truck, loaded her, and went over to Grandaddy's stand. He was grinning from ear to ear. He whispered" I got my deer son, it's a buck too...". I teared up right then and there. I helped Grandaddy get up and make his way over to the deer, a nice 6 point. He rubbed the horns a little, and then I helped him get back to the truck. I went to get his deer and Daddy was there when I got it to the truck. He had shot a doe too. After getting his doe loaded up, we headed to the house.

When we got to the house, Grandaddy insisted on taking pictures of all of us and our deer. Grandma came out and took pictures. Grandaddy was weaker than a dish rag, but wouldn't go in. He made me bring a chair out of the house so he could sit and talk with us while we skinned the deer. While we were talking, I asked Grandaddy what time he shot his deer. He said "9:58". Daddy kinda jumped a little, I did to. In all the excitement, it never dawned on us that all three of us shot our deer at the same time. After getting the deer cleaned up, and Grandaddy's buck caped out, he made us take him right to the taxidermist. Boy he was stubborn. We finally made him go rest after we got back from the Taxidermist.

That day was the first time all three of us were succesful on the same hunt. Grandaddy was more excited that day than I had ever seen him over deer hunting. He talked about that deer to everybody that would listen.The memory of that day stands in the forefront of my mind to this day.

It was the last time Grandaddy ever left the house of his own power. Grandaddy passed away on January 26, 2001. In the last few days before he passed away the pictures that had been dropped off were forgotten. The day after his funeral, I remembered them. I went and picked them up, and the first picture I saw when I opened them up was the three of us. It turns out that those were the last pictures that were ever taken of him. That picture is absolutely priceless to me. Oh and on February 15, Grandaddy's birthday, I picked up his mount. The picture hangs right beside the mount in my living room.
    Better overkill than underkill!!

^^wow.

Awesome story.
    I'm too old to be governed by a fear of dumb people.

Twelve Pointer

Great stories guys! I have a knife that was given to me by my godfather before he passed away and it will always but one of my most prized possessions.

I have one more item that I'll never part with. It's a secretary my grandpa loved. When he passed, I didn't end up with it. And, to beat everything, I found out later that it had been sold. I was DEVESTATED.

I did a little research and found out where it ended up.....and purchased it back (it cost me $500, but they don't want to know what I WOULD have paid). It's in my gameroom, and will be when I die.

Attachment 32783
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm too old to be governed by a fear of dumb people.

I've got to be honest, I teared up a little reading all these stories about granddaddies because I miss mine so much. We always hunted together A LOT, and when I turned 16 & got my driver's license in 2009 I thought about how I probably wouldn't be hunting with him as much. Well as life goes, I got in a wreck & became paralyzed less than 4 weeks after I'd gotten my first bow kill; Granddaddy was devastated because he hadn't gone with me running dogs on opening day. One of the few memories I have from my 8 days in the hospital before I went to rehab was watching college football with Granddaddy.

Fast forward to the next hunting season & I was trying to get my first deer from my wheelchair. I'd had 2 close encounters with bucks while hunting with Daddy during muzzleloader season, but no luck. Finally one cold day in December, Granddaddy picked me up after school & we went to the land a friend of his owned behind his house. We were set up watching a cornpile at the back of what had been a cow pasture, just sitting & talking, enjoying each other's company. Late that evening 2 does came to the corn & I dropped the biggest one in her tracks with Granddady's Ruger 30-06. I don't know which one of us was the proudest, but it was an amazing feeling.

Sadly, in September of 2011 Granddaddy passed away from a massive heart attack while cutting a tree out of the road in the hunting club. I'd never been so shocked in my life as I was when Mama came & told me the news at school. I'd just lost my best friend & nothing could help ease that pain. A few weeks later I asked if I could have Granddaddy's rifle and nobody in the family had any objections. He loved that rifle & killed piles of deer with it. We'd always pick with Daddy about shooting a real rifle because he shot a 7mag & we shot 30-06s.

Just 11 days after Granddaddy passed away I killed my best buck to date with my muzzleloader (Granddaddy's favorite season) out of the last stand he ever worked on. That buck I've got mounted along with all of its memories and my Granddaddy's rifle are my prized possessions.

Here's a pic of Grandddady & I with my doe I killed with his rifle.
    Attachment 32790
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Would you look at all those those stars. I mean you look up and you think God made all of that and He still remembered to make a little speck like me. It's kind of flattering really."-Morgan Earp

rem1148

I have my Grandads L.C. Smith 10 gauge double barrel but thats not really my most prized possesion of his. When he was in the hospital he ask to see my sister and myself. The nurse took us in his room to his bedside and left us alone with him. We put our hands on his arm and stood beside him. No words were spoken. None needed to be said. After a few moments he closed his eyes and we left the room. The nurse went back in for a few minutes then came back out and told us he had passed. My most precious memory of my grandad is the one that says my sister and I were the last 2 people he wanted to see before he went to see his lord and savior!

I got my dads 120 year old grandfather clock and my grandfathers WW2 45 colt side arm.

Loving these stories and I appreciate those that have shared them.

My most prized possession (s) are my Walker hounds. I've been around hunting dogs my entire life. I've got about 15 right now, sometimes more sometimes less it just depends on how the pups I raise turn out. No matter what kind of day I've had or how bad the weather is when I go out to feed them they are always excited to see me no matter what. Taking them hunting is only a small portion of the fun I get out of them. I enjoy taking care of them and raising pups as well. I have meet some really great people who have ended up becoming best friends through buying/selling/raising or hunting with dogs. I had a girl friend once who informed me that she "couldn't sleep with all those da** dogs barking at night". I was very quick to explain to her that those dogs were at home at my house for a long time before she was and if she ever left those dogs would still be at home after she did. I haven't seen or heard from her in a few years now.....(that's a true story by the way).

Quote Originally Posted by pcbuckhunter View Post
    One of my most prized possesions is a photo. My Grandfather was diagnosed with cancer early in 2000. He fought it throughout the year, and finally had it "manageable" around Thanksgiving. He never was much of a deer hunter, he was more into bird hunting and small game hunting. He took up deer hunting more seriously when he retired. That year much to my surprise, he decided he wanted to kill one last deer.

The last day of the Western Region deer season my Dad, Grandaddy and I were all in the woods. I drove Grandaddy as close to his spot as I could and helped him get set up and went to my stand. It was getting on up in the morning with no deer seen, and no shots heard. I was getting anxious that Grandaddy wouldn't get his "one last deer". I just closed my eyes and said Lord if there is anyway, send a deer to Grandaddy. As I opened my eyes I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. A big doe had eased out of the woods and was standing in my shooting lane. As I raised the gun and was squeezed the trigger, another shot went off, and another. It sounded like 3 shots together. BOOMBOOMBOOM. I looked at my watch it was 9:58. I climbed down, checked the doe, and drug her to the road. I got the truck, loaded her, and went over to Grandaddy's stand. He was grinning from ear to ear. He whispered" I got my deer son, it's a buck too...". I teared up right then and there. I helped Grandaddy get up and make his way over to the deer, a nice 6 point. He rubbed the horns a little, and then I helped him get back to the truck. I went to get his deer and Daddy was there when I got it to the truck. He had shot a doe too. After getting his doe loaded up, we headed to the house.

When we got to the house, Grandaddy insisted on taking pictures of all of us and our deer. Grandma came out and took pictures. Grandaddy was weaker than a dish rag, but wouldn't go in. He made me bring a chair out of the house so he could sit and talk with us while we skinned the deer. While we were talking, I asked Grandaddy what time he shot his deer. He said "9:58". Daddy kinda jumped a little, I did to. In all the excitement, it never dawned on us that all three of us shot our deer at the same time. After getting the deer cleaned up, and Grandaddy's buck caped out, he made us take him right to the taxidermist. Boy he was stubborn. We finally made him go rest after we got back from the Taxidermist.

That day was the first time all three of us were succesful on the same hunt. Grandaddy was more excited that day than I had ever seen him over deer hunting. He talked about that deer to everybody that would listen.The memory of that day stands in the forefront of my mind to this day.

It was the last time Grandaddy ever left the house of his own power. Grandaddy passed away on January 26, 2001. In the last few days before he passed away the pictures that had been dropped off were forgotten. The day after his funeral, I remembered them. I went and picked them up, and the first picture I saw when I opened them up was the three of us. It turns out that those were the last pictures that were ever taken of him. That picture is absolutely priceless to me. Oh and on February 15, Grandaddy's birthday, I picked up his mount. The picture hangs right beside the mount in my living room.
    Damn you!! I'm at work and cant be having a teary eye!! Great Story!