Savage 24V - 222/20

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Finally sold off the 24F in 22 Hornet/20 ga ... at a loss. Nothing wrong with the Hornet, just wasn't my thing. Picked up a very nice 24V in 222 Remington/20ga with a Leupold Vari-XII2 scope for a song, so ended up at a wash. I much prefer the wood stock, color case frame, and extra punch of the 222 Remington. Got some time sunday to do some shooting and was pleasantly surprised that she's well regulated. Verified the 222 was on at 25 and 50 yards shooting Federal 50 gr soft points and then worked out the 20 gauge. Federal Tru-Ball slugs were centered but near 4" low. Winchester 2-3/4" slugs did good being about an inch to the right but dead on height. The winner of the day was the Remington 2-3/4" Slugger which touched the 222 hole at 25 yards and very near at 50 yards. Federal 2-3/4" #3 buckshot and Federal 3" #2 buckshot were unimpressive. They would be ok at 25 yards but I wouldn't bother trying past that. The Remington 2-3/4" #3 buckshot put 13 of 20 pellets in a paper plate at 25 yards and 8 of 20 at 50 yards. Whether rifle, slug, or buckshot a whitetail, yote, or fox is in serious trouble out to 50 yards. Next up we'll be testing at 100 yards and beyond with the 222.

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Finally sold off the 24F in 22 Hornet/20 ga ... at a loss. Nothing wrong with the Hornet, just wasn't my thing. Picked up a very nice 24V in 222 Remington/20ga with a Leupold Vari-XII2 scope for a song, so ended up at a wash. I much prefer the wood stock, color case frame, and extra punch of the 222 Remington. Got some time sunday to do some shooting and was pleasantly surprised that she's well regulated. Verified the 222 was on at 25 and 50 yards shooting Federal 50 gr soft points and then worked out the 20 gauge. Federal Tru-Ball slugs were centered but near 4" low. Winchester 2-3/4" slugs did good being about an inch to the right but dead on height. The winner of the day was the Remington 2-3/4" Slugger which touched the 222 hole at 25 yards and very near at 50 yards. Federal 2-3/4" #3 buckshot and Federal 3" #2 buckshot were unimpressive. They would be ok at 25 yards but I wouldn't bother trying past that. The Remington 2-3/4" #3 buckshot put 13 of 20 pellets in a paper plate at 25 yards and 8 of 20 at 50 yards. Whether rifle, slug, or buckshot a whitetail, yote, or fox is in serious trouble out to 50 yards. Next up we'll be testing at 100 yards and beyond with the 222.

I have always had the best results with the Remington sluggers in the 2 shotguns I use slugs in.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That's a great combo and I agree about the wood. The .222 is a wonder round, and you can never go wrong with a 20 ga. Looks like a nice addition.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
The reason I didn't buy your Hornet was because I am a .222 and .218 Bee shooter and AM JEALOUS you found the gun I'm after!!!!!

Find another for a finders fee!